Stan Amster Photography – Scenic and Commercial Photography in Northern New England.

Historic

The Green River Covered Bridge in Guilford Vermont

Green-River-Covered-Bridge-5-27-2017-147-Edit
The Green River Covered Bridge is a covered bridge in western Guilford, Vermont. Built in the 1870s by Marcus Worden, it is a Town lattice truss bridge, carrying Green River Road over the eponymous river in a small rural village of the same name. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Willard Twin Covered Bridges in Hartland Vermont

Willard-Covered-Bridge-6-3-3
I will NEVER attempt to take this picture again. Scared was an understatement.

Willard “Old Bridge”
Originally built in 1870, the “Old Bridge” in the background was later renovated in 1953 and repaired in 1979. The bridge spans 128 feet and is sometimes referred to as the North Hartland East Covered Bridge. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in August, 1973.

Willard “New Bridge”
There were always two covered bridges at this location. The original second bridge (in the foreground) was built circa 1872, but was replaced in 1938 when the original was lost in the September hurricane of that same year. Many years later in 2001, when it began to deteriorate, the “New Bridge” was constructed and stands there still today. This bridge is also known as the North Hartland West Twin Covered Bridge.

Creamery Covered Bridge in West Brattleboro Vermont

Creamery-Covered-Bridge-Brattleboro-Vermont-7-13-2018-2-Edit-Edit

The Creamery Covered Bridge is a historic covered bridge in West Brattleboro, Vermont. Now closed to traffic, the Town lattice truss bridge formerly carried Guilford Road across Whetstone Brook, just south of Vermont Route 9. Built in 1879, it is Brattleboro’s last surviving 19th-century covered bridge.

The Creamery Covered Bridge is about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) west of downtown Brattleboro, just south of Vermont Route 9 and west (upstream) of the current alignment of Guilford Road, which it previously carried. The bridge is 80 feet (24 m) long and 19 feet (5.8 m) wide, and rests on stone abutments, one of which has been faced in concrete. The roadway is 15 feet (4.6 m) wide, and an attached sidewalk on the downstream side is 5.5 feet (1.7 m) wide. The bridge is topped by a roof that is slate over the roadway and metal over the sidewalk. The bridge trusses, built to the patented design of Ithiel Town, are protected by vertical board siding that rises about half their height, with a similar wall outside the sidewalk. Guy wires attached to the upstream side provide additional lateral support.

The bridge was built in 1879 out of spruce lumber, and the sidewalk was added about 1920. It is the last of what were once a large number of covered bridges in Brattleboro, and is the only covered bridge visible from Route 9 anywhere along its length, making it a significant tourist attraction. The bridge was closed to traffic in 2010.

error: Content is protected !!